- Obviously to grow your muscles you have to stimulate them to do so, hence the need to hit the gym!
- I recommend starting on a full body routine like Stronglifts 5x5. This will help by teaching you all the important lifts that you should be using throughout your career that most people neglect and regret! Also, it will help you build a good base, which will be helpful when you move to a more hypertrophy targeted routine.
- Cardio isn't essential unless you're trying to lose fat, but it's fine to do a bit on your off days for general health/fitness. But try to have at least one full day off a week.
- Diet is the most important part of bodybuilding. Without a good diet you won't be able to get very far!
- Eat 6-8 meals a day, whole foods mainly.
- Eat protein at every meal with some complex carbs, or healthy fats after 6pm.
- Eat at least 1g protein per lb of body weight.
- Drink 1 gallon water a day.
- Everyone always goes crazy with supplements thinking they are steroids... they're not!! When you first start training, you will be making good gains without the need for any supplements, just buy a whey powder for your post workout shake and a multivitamin. Nothing else is necessary at the moment.
- Muscle doesn't grow while you're in the gym! Most of the repairs happen while you sleep, so it's essential to sleep around 8 hours a night. I usually aim for 8-9 hours. 7 hours may not be enough for some people.