- Firstly, squats are a full body exercise. A lot of people think they are only for you legs, nothing could be more false! You use more than 200 muscles to perform a squat; Legs, Hips, Core, Back, Shoulders, Arms etc.
- Squats build muscle mass. Extra muscle can help you lose more fat by increasing your basal metabolic rate. Building muscle mass also makes you look awesome!!
- Your strength and power comes from your hips and core. So if you want to be strong and powerful, I think you can guess which is the best exercise to develop your hips and core. Yes, the squat.
- Heavy squats trigger your body to release testosterone and growth hormone, meaning more overall mass and strength!
- It has been well known for a long time that free weight exercises help to increase bone density, hence decreasing the rate of bone degradation in adults. This is especially important for women.
Friday, January 14, 2011
What are (free weight) Squats?
ONLY THE BEST AND MOST IMPORTANT EXERCISE YOU CAN DO!!!
Everyone who doesn't do Squats has a reason for it:
"Squats damage your knees" - WRONG
Squatting with proper form strengthens the muscles surrounding the knee which stabilises the joint, making it stronger. The tendons and ligaments in and around the joint also benefit from squats. Many people with a history of knee pain have managed to overcome their issues with doing squats. Here is one example >> http://stronglifts.com/squats-knee-pain/
"Squats are bad for your back"- WRONG
Again, squatting with proper form, the weight is directly over the spinal column, which means minimal torque as well as shearing force on your back. Squatting with weight also builds your back muscles, which strengthen and support the back. Don't try squat more than you can, and back pain will never be an issue.
Remember, the danger is not the Squat, but the Squat FORM.
So why are Squats so amazing?
Posted by southpaw at 2:09 AM